Sunday, December 2, 2012

Trybal Revival Gardens

     Hello readers! So, I have been doing loads of research on community gardens over the past week or so. I was so excited to learn that there are tens of community gardens in the Kalamazoo area alone! It is time to get involved!
     One community garden I found is particularly close to where I live in the student ghetto here in Kalamazoo. Trybal Revival Gardens (TRG) is a community garden located on the 1400 and 1500 block of E. Michigan ave. just past downtown. TRG is an on going project started in 2010 that is still partaking in projects to help grow and expand its borders. The reason I chose TRG above other local gardens is that they have a large focus on sustainability and living a sustainable lifestyle. TRG demonstrates and teaches displays of permaculture during their everyday gardening. Permaculture is a method of designing ways in which we as humans can all live abundantly well on our planet while also leaving it in better condition then when we arrived on it. TRG is immensely impressive in their commitment to permaculture, with its main plant-water supply gathered from rain water, the city water is only used in extreme cases.
      I have spoken to TRG on their facebook as well as e-mailed the owners of the land. Seeing as how the garden is mainly their yard, they must be quite busy with the fall harvest and winter preparation. I am eagerly awaiting a response from TRG. Hopefully I will be able to volunteer before spring. I can't wait to get my hands dirty.
Until then, life's a garden, dig it.

If you want to know more about permaculture, this a free 18 part series by Midwest Permaculture:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8A13FE6DAED398CB&feature=plcp

No comments:

Post a Comment